Today I made some progress on the bungalow. Before I glue the bottom floor walls up I need to finish the exterior and interior walls. This meant I had to finish all the outside walls and windows first.
I decided I wanted more windows than the kit provided for, so I cut some holes in one of the side walls. These will be small ornamental windows on either side of the mantle piece in the lounge room. This meant I had to make these windows from scratch. I first made the inserts.
Then I set about making the outside architraves in the same style as the large windows.
Next I did the interior of the windows - being the small glass pane dividers. I "dove tailed" them for a neater and stronger fit.
I used some spare bits of wood underneath when I glued these pieces in, that way they ended up in the middle of the frame uniformly - avoiding a lot of cursing and stuffing around!
I didn't like the front door provided by the kit, so I decided to improve it.
I picked it apart, and turned it upside down.
Then I used some spare base wood to patch the base up, which weighted it correctly and stopped it from looking like it was upside down.
Then I added a solid divider in the centre and parallel dividers on the top window. I also turned the door frame around so that the external architraves are now internal, and made a new frame which matched the windows for the exterior.
I finally got the right colour combination too, a deep forrest green/blue with a yellow tinted cream for trim.
Soon I will glue the walls up, but for now they are just balancing so I can get a feel for the finished product.