Wednesday 7 November 2012

A Little Staircase

The stairs have been a challenge. I had an image in my head of a beautiful paneled entrance hall:


...with a fine entrance hall lamp (from Forest Lighting perhaps):


However the hall seems a long way from this right now...


I constructed the  staircase from a pre-bought set of risers (about which I have some serious doubts regarding correct scale...). I also used MDF for the supports, and balsa for the fine skirting board.



The stairs are not fixed in the hall, but slide in neatly so I can work on them and slip them into place when they are done.



Getting this angle right (above) took hours. I think I need some better tools.


The staircase was filled with wood filler to make and even finish (yet to be sanded in pictures) and was taken out for display in the kitchen - to encouraging comments from family.



The stairs luckily fit very snugly in the hall, and slip out surprisingly easily. 


Still a lot of work to do though! Stay tuned.


4 comments:

  1. Emily I just can't understand why you aren't an architect! Your (tiny) houses are amazing. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alli! yes maybe Mr McMillan should have encouraged me more in year 9 maths...Say hi to Rob!

      Delete
  2. Hello Emily,
    Fantastic job. The staircase looks just great. In the pictures the scale of the steps looks pretty good. You got the hard part done and it is very successful. I can't wait to see them finished.
    Big hug,
    Giac,
    p.s. Did I mention how much I love that style of "U" shaped staircase with landings. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giac! You have encouraged me somewhat! I will keep working on my little stairs - next decision: paneling and plain balastrading or turned!

      Delete